Betws-y-Coed is approximately 30 minutes south of Llandudno and is where the River Conwy meets its three tributaries flowing from the West, the Afon Llugwy, the Afon Lledr and the Afon Machno. Much of it was built in Victorian times and is considered the principal village of the Snowdonia National Park.
The main street, Holyhead Road, has numerous shops that mainly specialise in outdoor and activity clothing and the tourist centre provide maps and advice on day trips in the area. The railway station is a Museum with a miniature railway, shop and restaurant. The old 14th century church of St Michael’s is one of the oldest in Wales and is worth viewing.
Swallow Falls is an area of outstanding natural beauty where the river flows through a narrow chasm and creates a spectacular waterfall amongst a background of beech, conifer and birch trees. A number of pleasant walks in the surrounding countryside start near Pont-y-Pair (the bridge of the cauldron), which was built in 1468.